42

May 21, 2005

Tiger Warning - Grrrr

So, I just thought I'd spend my weekend upgrading to Tiger (MAC OS 10.4) and as always, I proceeded with a clean install, repartitioning my drive in the same process. I backed up all my data to my iPod and started the installation...

...A trip down the shops and a cup of tea later, I was greeted with the cheesy Tiger installation music (don't get me wrong the intro graphics are good, but the music from 10.2 and 10.3 was much better).

The first thing to install was my USB Modem so I could download any updates. My ISP (TalkTalk) gave me a Sagem F@st 800 modem and I have never had need to buy a better one, until now. I couldn't get the computer to recognise that a modem was plugged in.

On ringing TalkTalk Support I found out that My modem has no Tiger ready drivers, and the other modem that they supply (the Thomson Speedtouch 330) will not have drivers ready for a few weeks (fingers crossed) at best.

Luckily, I have an old PC with Windows XP on it and I have set that up with Internet Connection Sharing, so I can at least connect with my mac. But now I am out of power sockets. :)

So I now have three choices. I go back to 10.3 (which I don't mind too much), I buy a newer, better ADSL Modem (which considering my current financial position, I think not), or have the noisy PC running all the time (which is what how I will run for the next few days).

Lesson Learned: Check that all your existing hardware will work when upgrading software. There are lots of forums detailing my exact problem, if I had just bother looking for it. :)

5 Comments:

  • My problem is that my ADSL connection is a USB Modem, so unless you have a spare ADSL Modem... :)

    By Blogger Chris Andrews, at 22 May, 2005 13:15  

  • USB Modems only live as long as the manufacturer decides to code drivers for the OS.

    I think Speedtouch have released drivers for Tiger. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 May, 2005 17:37  

  • Ok, correction to my earlier post.

    http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/support.htm

    Drivers for OS X due out for July '05.

    I would send you my old ADSL modem, but I'm using it as a wireless repeater atm sorry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 22 May, 2005 17:40  

  • driver v 3.0.3 for Tiger is available here:
    http://lgsagem.free.fr/drivers_fast800.htm
    in french, so make sure you select 'version internationale'. wouldn't you have guessed!

    tiger recognises the modem now, but I still have problems. 'couldn't negotiate a connection'. anyone know why this could be? I'm using exactly the same settings...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 June, 2005 20:11  

  • all working now - I don't know what did it, maybe just a couple of restarts... weirdo USB modem. used to give me a kernel panic once a month. hope that's stopped now!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11 June, 2005 20:22  

Post a Comment

<< Home